Sunday, July 23, 2017

Educational Uses of Google Maps

When the topic of Google Maps came up in our course, I was very excited. Not only do I use Google Maps on a day to day basis to get from point A to point B, but I like to check out new places I've never been using their satellite and street views.

One of the more interesting uses I've seen of Google Maps is the GeoGuessr game. The object of the game is to guess where in the world the street view with which you have been presented is located. To the right of the street view is a map where you can choose your guessed location. Players are rewarded points based on the accuracy of their guess.

In the shot below, I looked around the street view and noticed Spanish writing on a building on the side of the road.

Based on the information above, I guess the location is in Mexico.

I was correct! Players are rewarded based on the accuracy of their choice within miles.

Is this a game you would like to play or have played? In what kind of class would you implement a game like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap-Up

This Web 2.0 course has been one of the most interesting and informative courses I've ever taken. I must admit, going in I felt I alread...