Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Benefits of Personal Learning Networks for K-12 Teachers

All careers can benefit from a PLN, but I would argue that a PLN for K-12 educators is especially advantageous. While teachers are expected to plan together and meet throughout the week, I found personally, when working as a high school teacher, that it was rare when I had a moment of true discussion and collaboration with my colleagues.

Once the school year is underway, other responsibilities and problems get in the way of these interactions. You may plan to meet with 6 other teachers after school, only to find that two teachers have team sports responsibilities, one teacher is out sick, another teacher had to leave after school that day to pick up her sick child, one teacher was called into a parent-teacher conference, and another teacher was called into a last minute administrative meeting. Your 7 person meeting has now dwindled down to 2 people!

For all the reasons described above, a PLN would be most beneficial to this group of teachers. It provides a great space to share ideas and commiserate over common problems, all while allowing each member to do so at their own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap-Up

This Web 2.0 course has been one of the most interesting and informative courses I've ever taken. I must admit, going in I felt I alread...