Sunday, July 9, 2017

On LinkedIn, Employers Look for You!

Same.

While covering LinkedIn this week in class, I got to wondering, how has this social media platform for professionals changed the world of work? The Washington Post explored such changes in this article from 2013, about talent hunting. Among other things, LinkedIn has allowed for talent poaching.

While this sounds like there is a certain amount of sketchy ethics as play, talent poaching could prove beneficial to workers. A more passive form of job application (in that you aren't actively looking for another job) you could be offered the job of your dreams after doing little more than creating a profile on the network.

While this kind of hands-off approach to the drudgery of looking for a new job is appealing to lazy people like me, it raises a few concerns. While I've tried to present my best self on LinkedIn for all to see, I don't like the idea of a possible job prospect judging me based on my profile and personal professional connections. I could submit an application and cover-letter that has the potential to wow a future employer rather than my generic LinkedIn page because I have the ability to write something that will appeal to that employer, for that particular job. It's a bit like having your blind date show up an hour early to find you with no makeup in a pair of holey stretch pants.

What are some additional pros and cons of LinkedIn?

1 comment:

  1. " It's a bit like having your blind date show up an hour early to find you with no makeup in a pair of holey stretch pants." I totally agree with this statement. I'm kind of lazy of managing my social profiles, and I hope this would not have any impacts on my job application.

    ReplyDelete

Wrap-Up

This Web 2.0 course has been one of the most interesting and informative courses I've ever taken. I must admit, going in I felt I alread...