Sunday, July 9, 2017

Redditing

Believing it to be full of trolls and serial killers, I'd steered clear of Reddit for quite some time. Then, as I was watching the HBO show The Leftovers in December 2015, I'd lamented that I did not know one other person who'd watched the show to discuss various theories. Even my husband left me alone to watch "that weird show," making the title much more ironic in my case.

I searched Google terms along the lines of "The Leftovers theories" and wound up on a Reddit forum, or Subreddit. I created an account to ask my own questions, and from that moment on, I was addicted.

Based on this article discussing changes made to Reddit earlier in 2015, it turns out I wasn't that far off in my initial assessment of Reddit. There are still dark places on the site that have white supremacy and sexist Subreddits, to name a few, but as a user, I like that I can subscribe to my Subreddits which appeal to me. My chosen Subreddits consist of positive content, like uplifting news or the aptly named, WholesomeMemes. I also follow a few health-related Subreddits that have made it nice to commiserate anonymously with fellow sufferers, without broadcasting all my problems.

One of my favorite interactions with the site have been my submission to a Photoshop request Subreddit. I submitted a picture of my dog standing on his hind legs, and I was not disappointed by the submissions.



2 comments:

  1. I also felt a little bit of trepidation about Reddit! But this week has swayed me! Also, I absolutely love those Photoshops of your dog! So amazing! The Titanic one is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reddit is great! And I completely understand that feeling...I was a hesitant lurker on some boards until I realized the communities were pretty decent, when it comes to the web just steer clear of hostile boards and enjoy the awesome ones!

    ReplyDelete

Wrap-Up

This Web 2.0 course has been one of the most interesting and informative courses I've ever taken. I must admit, going in I felt I alread...